ArtsPool is an organization that is passionate about providing affordable financial management, workforce administration, and compliance support to nonprofit arts organizations. We believe our mission is providing excellence in these support areas to allow Arts organizations to focus on what they do best – create! We are looking for a skilled Workforce Administration professional to join our Workforce Administration Team to support a growing client list of nonprofit organizations. The ArtsPool model is a unique, alternative solution to the lack of staffing capacity in nonprofits. ArtsPool is currently a remote first workplace with an office in Fort Greene, Brooklyn.
Workforce Administrator Responsibilities
The Workforce Administration Team provides general workforce management support to a myriad of nonprofit organizations.
The Workforce Administration Team acts as a critical hub for client employment data, in collaboration with our Financial Maintenance and Operations Teams, that empowers our clients to make sound and informed labor decisions for their organizations.
As a Workforce Administrator, you will hold 5-7 client relationships in which you will collaborate with our client organizations to facilitate payroll processes, labor compliance, and ongoing workforce administration support. You contribute as an integral part of our clients’ workforce capacity.
- Facilitate/Support time tracking and process payroll for client organizations, in collaboration with the clients’ contacts and others on the ArtsPool team, and maintain payroll systems and employee records for client organizations.
- Facilitate the onboarding and offboarding process for clients’ employees, including offer and voluntary termination letters, worker documentation (Forms W-4 and I-9), benefits coordination, and employment status tracking.
- Coordinate payroll taxes with ArtsPool’s payroll vendor. Assist in preparation of annual workforce tax materials for employees (Form W-2).
- In conjunction with the Financial Maintenance Team, support annual compensation review and approval by clients’ boards.
- Provide payroll reports and related data for annual audits, tax returns, and insurance claim forms, as requested by other ArtsPool Teams, by clients’ auditors, insurance carriers (e.g. Unemployment, Disability, Paid Family Leave, and Workers’ Compensation coverages), and occasionally the Department of Labor.
- Train clients’ staff payroll administrators on the payroll process and BeyondPay navigation (timesheet submission/approval, time-off request/approval, pay run reports/approval) at onboarding and/or at staff transition.
- Support clients in coordinating required benefit reports and forms (e.g. 401k/403b, IRS 5500, Cafeteria Plan, Commuter Benefits, HSA/FSA, COBRA).
- Provide quality control and review — including escalation to legal review as required — for questions that arise relating to workforce compliance for ArtsPool clients including classification of employees, payroll tax filings, error prevention and correction, etc.
- Provide operational comments on client Employee Handbooks and assist in facilitating legal review and board approval of the Employee Handbook.
- Undertake research as needed, contacting government agencies, benefits vendors, etc. for confirmation on implementation of details impacting payroll.
- Liaise with client contacts to make sure statutory trainings (e.g. Sexual Harassment Prevention) are completed.
Our ideal candidate
- Significant experience with workforce administration required (any combination of experience in: payroll processing, workers’ compensation/disability audits, employee/contractor classification, etc.)
- Primary experience with payroll processing and comfort with reading and maintaining spreadsheets preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently in complex, fast paced environments required.
- Ability to prioritize and meet deadlines for multiple clients required.
- Demonstrated history as a self-motivated creative problem solver who is willing to work within a team to develop and assist in implementing system improvements to be utilized by all team members.
- Facility with web based systems and software – Experience with BeyondPay Payroll, Xero Accounting, and Google Workspace (Google Sheets, Gmail, Google Drive) is a plus.
- Previous experience with nonprofits and / or arts organizations is a plus, but not required.
- People Operations experience or degree is a plus.
We understand that you may not meet all aspects of this description. We welcome applicants with varied backgrounds and different applications of skills. If you believe you can excel in this role, we encourage you to apply!
ArtsPool is committed to sharing a set of responsibilities among all team members to ensure excellence in running our operations and alignment with our values.
- Support ArtsPool’s values with respect to diversity, equity, and inclusion, and commit to contributing to an environment that treats everyone with dignity and respect.
- Provide support/guidance to other members of the ArtsPool team and ask for support when needed.
- Act as a back-up for other ArtsPool staffers as needed when they take time off, and prepare your work for other staffers to back you up when you take time off.
- Contribute to the organizational decision-making process and improvement of ArtsPool systems, services and processes .
- Adhere to ArtsPool’s work processes and procedures including systems use, style guides, communications guide, document organization and retention, security policies, and other operational and corporate policies and procedures.
Equity. We work to dismantle the systemic, structural inequities in our world and in the context of arts administration.
Inclusion. We seek out a broad spectrum of identities, ideas, experiences, tools, and systems to improve our work and our understanding.
Sustainability. We create and improve our systems to support long-term health of our people and our organization.
Happiness. We work to create and maintain a working culture for staff and members that encourages joy, even amongst mundane details.
Boldness. We take risks, accept challenges, and envision big ideas while following through on details.
Flexibility. We are responsive to our members, our staff, and our environment.
Personal responsibility to the group. We communicate and help each other, and always remember that we are a team.
Proactive, designed, lived change. We hold ourselves highly accountable to living and practicing the concept of change from which we began.
Compensation and location
As part of ArtsPool’s commitment to pay equity, starting compensation for this and all full-time positions is $70,000 annually, with health and dental benefits and a 401(k) benefit plan (a financial advisor is available for consultation). We also offer generous paid time off of 18 days per calendar year including vacation, personal days, and floating holidays plus 13 federal/regional/religious holidays (Eid, Yom Kippur, Rosh Hashanah, Lunar New Year, & Diwali). ArtsPool is currently a remote first workplace with an office in Fort Greene, Brooklyn. You are free to work remotely and may be asked to join team meetings from time to time.
To apply for this full-time position, please send your letter of interest in the role with ArtsPool along with an updated resume to email@example.com. Please include your full name and job title in the subject line of the email. Due to the number of applicants, only those chosen for screening will receive a response. ArtsPool is an equal opportunity employer. In the spirit of ArtsPool’s value of inclusion, we welcome and encourage submissions from BIPOC, LGBTQIA, disabled and veteran candidates.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Due to a high volume of applications received, we are unable to contact each applicant individually regarding the status of their application.