ArtsPool, a cooperative service organization providing radically affordable nonprofit financial management, workforce administration, and compliance, seeks qualified individuals to support a growing member base of nonprofit arts organizations. Startup meets social venture, the ArtsPool model is a unique, alternative solution to the lack of staffing capacity in nonprofits.
ArtsPool Finance Manager
ArtsPool is seeking a Manager to take a leadership role on our growing Finance team from our bright and colorful office in Brooklyn.
Your comfort with numbers, math, and accounting is matched with a passion for helping nonprofits and artists to thrive. You have extensive experience in budget management, know your way around a board meeting and are familiar with complex grant compliance. You’ve dug into the details of more than one chart of accounts, and you are open to learning new systems and tools. You love the arts and understand financial administration as a critical part of making art happen. You are able to prioritize multiple projects and meet ongoing deadlines. You communicate clearly and patiently with clients and colleagues. You enjoy doing pivotal work as part of a larger system, making things easier for those you serve through efficiency and clarity. You are rigorous by nature but have a sense of perspective and humor when things get real.
- Work with the management team to develop and implement iteratively improved systems
- Manage and oversee payroll for multiple member organizations
- Develop and maintain member organizational budgets and financial reports
- Manage member accounting, including review of bookkeeping entries, member approvals, and transaction documentation; confirm bank and card reconciliations; make journal entries, including payroll, and other cost allocations
- Provide budget and accounting support for member capital activities as needed, and provide additional bookkeeping support, including making entries to accounts receivable and accounts payable, recording deposits, and issuing payments
- Collaborate with Workforce team to ensure member timesheets are accurate and that payroll and tax payments are processed accurately and on time
- Prepare for annual audits and tax return; work with independent auditor to complete member annual financial statements
- Participate in new member onboarding, including financial review of prospective members, data migration and reconciliation, new systems setup, and member training
Requirements & Qualifications
- Deep understanding of nonprofits (financial structure, programmatic needs, and operating behaviors)
- Ability to work with many types of members and personalities, ranging from small artist-run companies to mid-sized institutions
- Significant experience with payroll processing
- Significant experience with the annual nonprofit audit process
- Openness to and facility with web-based systems and software
- Experience with Xero Accounting and Google Apps (Drive, Docs, Sheets, Calendar, Gmail, etc) a plus
- Experience with QuickBooks and other accounting systems a plus
- Comfort and experience with developing and maintaining complex spreadsheets
- Independent, self-motivated problem solver who can make suggestions and work with the team to develop and implement system improvements
- Able to meet continuous deadlines, work autonomously, as well as with a team, and willing to work beyond scope when needed
Starting salary for this position is $80,00 annually, with health and dental benefits.
How to apply
To apply for this position, please send cover letter and resume to email@example.com. ArtsPool is an equal opportunity employer.